The world’s largest IT exhibition, the Consumer Electronics Show, opened on Tuesday in Las Vegas… with some 45-hundred companies from across the globe showcasing their latest technologies.
And during this year’s CES, Artificial Intelligence technology is at the center of attention… with tech firms showing off their AI-based products.
Today we go in-depth on the world’s latest trend of technologies… and where South Korea stands in the global competition…. with Dr. Lee Soo-Young Director at KAIST Institute for Artificial Intelligence.
1. TELL US ABOUT AI RESEARCH CENTER AT KAIST
You are currently based at Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, or KAIST for short, and KAIST is the mecca of Korea’s science technology and research. I hear KAIST also runs a separate research center for AI technology. Tell us more about that.
2. HOW ADVANCED IS AI TECHNOLOGY TODAY?
AI speakers are now already being widely used by many across the world… and South Korean tech giant Samsung has unveiled a life companion concept robot, designed to offer personalized care like a secretary. AI technology is penetrating deeper into our daily lives… could you tell us how advanced the AI technology is today… that helps enhance people’s convenience?
3. ECONOMIC VALUE OF AI INDUSTRY
The economic value of AI technology is obviously immense. According to the latest forecast by McKinsey on the impact of AI on the global economy… AI technology will create 13 trillion dollars in value by 2030. And up to 70-percent of firms across the world will be utilizing AI technology. How do you evaluate the economic value of the AI industry?
4. HOW MUCH HAS AI TECHNOLOGY FURTHER DEVELOPED SINCE ‘ALPHAGO’?
4. The rise of Alphago in 2016… was probably the biggest factor that led to the public recognition of AI technology. The world had closely watched the historic match between AlphaGo of Google’s DeepMind and South Korean go master Lee Se-dol at that time. How much has AI technology further developed since 2016?
5. S. KOREA’S AI COMPETITIVENESS ON GLOBAL STAGE
South Korea is undoubtedly one of the world’s strongest IT nations. How does it fare in AI technology?
6. GOVERNMENT’S EFFORTS TO BOOST S. KOREA’S AI TECHNOLOGY
AI competition is getting fiercer by the day… with each nation striving to clinch the leading position in the AI industry. The U.S. has announced an ‘AI initiative’, while China has also announced its next generation AI development measures. Germany and Japan are also actively investing in AI industry. What are some of the efforts being made by the South Korean government?
7. KOREA’S UNIQUE STRENGTHS IN AI INDUSTRY
South Korea may have been slightly behind the starting line compared to the U.S. and China… but what would you say are Korea’s unique strengths in the field of AI industry?
8. CONCERNS GROWING OVER POSSIBLE THREAT OF AI TECHNOLOGY
There are concerns about the fast-developing AI technology though. For instance, people worry about the changing landscape of the job market, and possible ethical problems that could be triggered by artificial intelligence that exceeds human intelligence. Your thoughts on rising calls for measures to ensure safe co-existence of AI with humans?
9. MEASURES NEEDED TO FURTHER BOOST KOREA’S AI INDUSTRY
Some point out South Korea should use AI technology to revamp its slowing economy. What measures are needed on a government-level to induce more benefits by nurturing AI technology?
#AI #future #technology